Thursday 27 October 2011

Gordon Brown– a Rookwood Icon– Has Left Us

Very sad afternoon today at Rookwood as we heard the news that the wonderful Gordon Brown has left us. 

I can't speak for others, and I know that I can't do Gordon justice, but I've got to try.

I know that I was lucky to get as much of a chance to know him as I did, but I do wish that I had more.  He has had a tremendous and permanent effect on me.  Libby brought me to Australia, but it was Gordon who pulled me into the Rookwood fold.

Interestingly, it was only yesterday that Eric, of the Friends of Rookwood reminded me of my first trip to Rookwood, as he was with Gordon on a tour day and we ended up having a great and interesting conversation.  I'm a shy person, but there was something about Gordon that made a deep impression, and an almost instant connection...  a connection which slowly brought me around to Rookwood which seemed too big, too wild, too much, inhuman...  and yet, now, is an anchor in my life.  Gordon taught me so much about lettering and about lead-lettering...  and shared his knowledge to the point of exhaustion.  Grahame and Matthew and I will never be able to repay him, except maybe by continuing to improve...  and practice...  and help keep the skill going.  But I owe Gordon much more, and I know that he'll always be with me when I'm in Rookwood, and whenever I'm working and thinking about what I do.

Gordon Brown will be forever missed...  but also forever celebrated in the landscape of Rookwood–  in the lead lettering, in the care of the grounds, in everyone who is a friend of Rookwood.
Gordon Brown at 71 teaching us lead lettering. He was amazing.

Thank you Gordon.  Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment