Sunday 1 January 2012

Still more carving...

Sorry if this blog gets a bit boring...  but it seems like I keep coming back to carving...   (which is, perhaps, not surprising given that I seem to be spending so much time obsessively doing it!)



I finally finished the low relief waratah which I promised Libby's mom...  one day late (can you believe it...  I really only had 2 hours more to do on Christmas Day and, although Libby was very forgiving and gave me time to have a go at finishing the carving, well, it really wasn't realistic).  Anyway, the carving turned out much better than I had feared...  and was a wonderful introduction to actually doing bas-relief work. 

I've been lucky enough to have had good long days at both the British Museum and the Louvre...  and at both, it was the low relief work taken from ancient sites (especially Assyria) which most enthralled me.  So, after 20 years, I've finally had a go at it and, well, it's hard!  It took forever to do a small panel 200mm x 160mm with the carving only 1.5mm deep.  A crazy amount of time.  Maybe 40 hours?  Maybe more. 

Starting the waratah (and a bunch of cycladic figurines) in October...

progress in November...


I think I could do it in half the time, if I ever do it again...  and a quick sandstone one I've started has been so much faster (only 1 hour so far, and it seems half-done, though we'll see how long it takes to actually finish it)

I still need to decide what to do about the background...  maybe two directions of scutch marks?

No comments:

Post a Comment